Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Superb Owl Sunday

The Owlbear, a staple creature of role-playing games dating back to the first edition of Dungeons and Dragons, is still regarded as one of the fiercest and popular creatures in the beastiary.

In both D&D and Pathfinder canon, the origins of the owlbear are unknown and contested. Some say it is the result of a wizard's twisted imagination. Others claim it is a prototype create of the Fey, the First World, and has somehow migrated to the Material Plane (the main world we play in).

Out of game, the owlbear is credited to Gary Gygax, co-creator of D&D.
The owlbear as a monster, lives and hunts primarily in forests and wooded areas. They can strike alone, or in groups of two to six. Or more, if the dungeon master/game master (DM/GM) requires more.

Since I play Pathfinder more than D&D, some things may not cross over fully. That said, in their current PF iteration, owlbears are given a base challenge rating of 4. So a party consisting of 3-4 members should start to run into one owlbear at around level 3. (Average Party Level +1 should equal CR for a challenging fight.)

Owlbears are fiercely territorial and will attack anything that comes into their area. They can be tamed, by skilled (or lucky) druids or rangers, but most of the time the owlbear will attack relentlessly until defeated.

The attack with razor sharp claws, gashing at their enemies. Or by grabbing an enemy and forcefully holding it in place while it bites and stabs with its beak.

Owlbears aren't particularly intelligent animals, at least at base level, but aren't mindless either. Should one be given intelligence through the spell Awaken, they'd be an even deadlier threat.

The beastiary lists variants of the owlbear, including the higher-level and deadlier Siege Owlbear, but with how customizable games like D&D and Pathfinder are, the GM can adapt the creature to suit the needs of the story.
 

For more information about Dungeons & Dragons or Pathfinder, check out the links.


11 comments:

  1. You're telling me that I can be swarmed by up to 6 owlbears at one time?! No thank you. I will stick to connect 4 where I know I'm safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just want to give you a hug.. and nibble on your insides a little.

      Delete
  2. Great post Jamie! Back at Brock I actually took a course on all that is D&D. My professor developed a game called barrowmaze. Very old school gamer. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if I find owlbears creepy or cute... But I'm leaning towards the latter. I'd definitely be interested in seeing more of these D&D animal hybrids. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if I find owlbears creepy or cute... But I'm leaning towards the latter. I'd definitely be interested in seeing more of these D&D animal hybrids. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! (and I'd go with cute up until it is gnawing at your face)

      Delete
  5. I am loving the PUN! The cards always look cool... But I never know how to play with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully by reading you'll pick up a thing or two ;)

      Delete
  6. Nice one Jamie. I haven't played D&D ever but after knowing more about the beasts, I'd fancy giving it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the Pun here, seems like you've played a lot of interesting and unique games! I'm pretty standard still. My favourites are Ticket to Ride, and Settlers of Catan. They will never get old!

    ReplyDelete